This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Thursday, June 3, 2004
What's wrong with Morrissey...?
...and why can't I stop listening to his new CD? I ask myself these same questions every time I get his latest CD. His new one "I Am The Quarry" is no exception.

Still, to this day, after buying 8 albums, I can't figure out if the guy is kidding with these lyrics. He sings them so earnestly that I honestly can't tell. And part of me doesn't even care because they're so damn catchy!

From "First of the Gang to Die"
"You have never been in love / Til you've seen the dawn rise / Behind the home for the blind"

From "I Have Forgiven You Jesus"
"Monday - humiliation / Tuesday - suffocation / Wednesday - condescension / Thursday - is pathetic / By Friday life has killed me / By Friday life has killed me / Oh pretty one, Oh pretty one"

One of my favorites from his last album is this gem:

"Roy's keen oh Roy's keen / We've never seen a Keener window-cleaner / Back up the ladder / Into each corner / Dunking his chamois/ Just think of the goodwill / The ladder's a planet / Roy is a star, / and I am a satellite /(But that's alright)"

What?!