This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Friday, February 3, 2006
Piling on Netflix
InternetWeek is now the latest outlet taking Netflix to task over it's rental policies (although it appears that the author simply read some posts on Hacking Netflix for his info including my tip about the short queue).

One point that the author does make that sometimes gets lost in the debate over the mere existence of throttling/smoothing is that Netflix actually benefits from losing long-term heavy users (i.e. if I cost them money most months, why would they want to keep me).

For the record, I love the idea of Netflix. I love their website and the tools for sharing movies habits with friends. I just don't like their rental policies and the limits they place on our unlimited service.

In fact, I am working on a blog post called "Fantasizing about Netflix" where I outline a wishlist of new features that I think they could/should try (I'm hoping these last two hopeful paragraphs, while true, will fend off the flame posts from NF fanboys).

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.