This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Monday, June 19, 2006
I installed my Skype phone adapter
Got my Skype phone adapter today
I picked up a D-Link DPH-50U Skype phone adapter today. Installation was totally painless -- install the driver, hook up a phone cable between the adapter and my regular 5.8 GHZ cordless phone and then hook up the USB port to the PC running Skype.

To dial out with Skype using my cordless phone, I simply have to enter "001" before dialing the number and then hit "*" after I enter the number to initiate the call.

I've made a couple of test calls to people and no one was able to tell I was using Skype (which was cool). My biggest worry is sound quality and, so far, it seems to work great.

On incoming calls, my cordless phone displays the caller ID info just as it did with our landline. I wasn't sure if that would work with Skype, so I was pleasantly surprised that it did.

I opted for a phone adapter instead of a Skype cordless handset because I already have a nice 5.8 GHZ cordless phone set (we have a base station and 1 extra handset) and I was worried that a 2.4 GHZ cordless Skype phone might interfere with my wireless network.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how Skype stacks up to our $40/mo Insight phone service. However, considering that my whole Skype setup cost about the same as 2 months of Insight ($50 for adapter & $38 for a SkypeIn number for 1 year), it will pay for itself by the end of August.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.