This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Friday, June 23, 2006
Why HD disc formats have failed
Clint DeBoer over at Audioholics has posted his 10 reasons why high definition DVD formats have already failed.

I think he hits the nail on the head with his list, especially when he compares it to the failure of DVD-Audio and SACD. His analysis of why the PS3 won't help Blu-ray is worth reading, too.

Of all of the items, number 10 (Broadband and IPTV to Compete?) is the main reason I am sitting this so-called format war out. I would much rather wait for an IP-based solution than buy $500-1000 hardware and then replace all of my DVDs with new $30 HD versions. Hell, I would take a standard definition solution (Netflix Player?) that is IP-based over an HD disc-based one.

Check out the full list here.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.