This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
SXSWi 2009 Day 3 recap
Started off day 3 at SXSWi with a cup of coffee from Starbucks. On the way through the hotel lobby, I spotted Jason Falls, Matt Stewart and Micah Baldwin and decided to crash their breakfast.

Eventually Falls and I made it over to the Blogger Lounge where we ran into Bill Johnston, Dave Peck and Rick Calvert. Rick and I decided to liven things up with a little early morning Rock Band. He played guitar and I sat in on drums. Ended up cranking through 3 or 4 songs and giving the room a taste of what would come later.

At 11:30, Todd Earwood and I went over to the Hilton for a session with Bazaarvoice CMO Sam Decker. On the way over, we walked right past Julia Allison who I am supposed to get a photo of for a co-worker. Didn't have my camera ready, though.

After the session, we headed back to the Blogger Lounge to coordinate a lunch posse. On the way, we ran into Jake McKee who blames me for his netbook envy.

We ended up taking a group of 12, including Bill Johnston, Nick Huhn, Chris Claxton, Chad Crowell, Todd Earwood, Rob May and Dave Durand, over to P.F. Chang's for lunch. I was finally able to meet Sean of Ping.fm. Love their service (except when I make mistakes).

After a tasty lunch, I headed back over to the Blogger Lounge. I snagged a seat next to Jeff Pulver who recruited me for some more Rock Band. Never one to disappoint a crowd, I agreed. After warming up with a couple of songs (with my on drums and Jeff on guitar), we enlisted Jason Falls to take on vocals. We ended up leading a raucous sing-a-long version of "Livin' on a Prayer" with the packed crowd in the Lounge. Really fun(ny) stuff.



Next, I headed to the Community Management session hosted by Heather Champ from Flickr. Ended up sitting with Bill Johnston, Sean O'Driscoll and Dustin Johnson.

Afterward, I joined Jason Falls and a group for a dinner at Stubb's. That ended up being a huge mistake as the food was mediocre and the service was absolutely terrible. Waitress vanished for half an hour and then I overheard manager complaining about our table because we gave her feedback on the service. Will definitely not go there again.

Following dinner, I went back to the hotel to recharge my phone (and myself) before heading out to the Social Media Club event at Buffalo Billiards.

The SMC party was a great event. Lots of room to spread out and network. Seems like everyone in social media was there including Chris Heuer, Kristie Wells, Jeremiah Owyang, Robert Scoble, Scott Monty, Jason Falls, Marcel Lebrun, Richard Mcinnis, Jim Storer, Aaron Strout and Micah Baldwin.

Todd, half of our billiards dynasty
Dynasty!

Ended up pairing up with Todd Earwood to play some pool. We quickly became a self-proclaimed dynasty after repeatedly pummeling Jim Storer and Aaron Strout. We were so good that we didn't even need to make any shots ourselves. We just allowed the other teams to make all of their shots and then scratch on the 8 ball. Genius!

After we closed down the SMC party, we headed to the Tumblr event where Gary Vaynerchuk was supposed to be going to have an impromptu wine party. As soon as we walked in, I bumped into Andrew Mager who I worked with at CNET, but had never met in person (he is in SF, I was in Louisville).

Gary Vaynerchuk and Shawn Morton

The wine party ended up getting moved across the street to Rain where complete chaos ensued. Wine and wristbands were being passed through the packed crowd. Some of the people we ran into were Pete Cashmore, Baratunde Thurston, Robert Scoble, Daniel Ha and Jim Louderback. I took a ton of photos from that event.

We ended the night by leaving with Gary Vaynerchuk and a group of about 10 people. Tried to get into the Pure Volume event, but were turned away. Since it was ridiculously late at that point, I ended up heading back to the hotel and calling it a night.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.