This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Monday, January 30, 2006
Bands not in the Hair Nation
I've been listening to Hair Nation (Sirius 23) religiously since joining Sirius before Christmas. For the most part, I love the channel. It allows me to remember music that I loved when I not only had hair, but lots (and lots) of it.

The biggest complaint that I have is that their definition of "Hair Nation" seems a bit loose. Pretty much any band that played hard rock / heavy metal in the 80's is fair game. IMHO, hair metal is a very specific subgenre and should be a bit more exclusive.

Hair metal includes:
- Poison
- Bon Jovi
- Cinderella
- Skid Row
- Def Leppard
- Ratt
- Motley Crue
- Dokken
- Winger
- White Lion
- Britny Fox
- L.A. Guns
- Faster Pussycat
- Guns N Roses
- Bulletboys
- Bang Tango
- Roxx Gang

Hair metal does NOT include:
- AC/DC
- Scorpions (not even that annoying ballad where they whistle)
- Tesla
- Ozzy Osbourne (only the "Ultimate Sin" album comes close)
- Dio
- Van Halen (with Sammy Hagar)
- Black Sabbath
- Rainbow
- Saxon
- Stryper

Unfortunately, some of the bands in the NOT list, especially AC/DC, Van Halen and Scorpions, are in heavy rotation on Hair Nation. I guess I'll have to suffer through the "Winds of Change" and "Signs" in order to get "Girlschool" and "Wait."

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.