This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Why are people buying the Series 3 TiVo?
OK, I don't get all of the people rushing out to buy a Series 3 TiVo. Sure, it does HD. Sure, it has CableCard support. However, at the end of the day, it is still a 32 hour (if you do HD) DVR for $800! My Windows Media Center PC records more HD than that.

I've been a TiVo customer (via DirecTiVo) for over 5 years and I love it. However, I don't love it enough to shell out $800 plus the $13 monthly fee. I know most cable DVRs really suck (we suffered with one for a month while we waited for our house to be finished), but come on. I've said it before, but if I didn't get a discounted TiVo fee from DirecTV ($4 per month), I would give up TiVo.

I am going to wait until DirecTV finally comes out with an affordable HD DVR ($200 range). In the meantime, I will be happy with my OTA HD recordings via Windows Media Center.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.