This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Cleaning house Twitter style
Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that I am unable to keep up with the stream of tweets coming in from the 600+ people I was following. I had people that I knew personally say things like "You didn't respond to my tweet..." or "Didn't you see my tweet...?"

Social media is about maintaining relationships and I wasn't keeping up my end of the bargain because I was following too many people that I didn't know which was causing me to miss tweets from people I do know (at least that was my hypothesis).

So last night (after a full day of tailgating and OSU football), I decided to prune my list of followers based on some very loose criteria. Do I know them personally? Do we exchange a lot of @replies? Do we share an interest like gaming or gadgets (I excluded social media since everyone seems to be into that)? Are they in the Columbus area?

The goal was to get close to Dunbar's number (seemed like a good idea at the time) and see if I could do a better job of keeping up.

After about 15 minutes, I had gone from 600+ to about 330-ish.

When I woke up this morning, I found something interesting (thanks to Qwitter). Several of the people that I unfollowed had unfollowed me back. While I don't take an unfollowing personally, I did find it interesting that someone would choose to unfollow me simply because I unfollowed them. If I posted stuff that isn't interesting to you, then an unfollow makes sense. However, to unfollow just because I didn't make a lot of sense.

I decided to write this post to explain that the goal of the unfollow wasn't personal. It was a way for me to be more efficient and effective in my use of Twitter. I think we've all been guilty of following people just because they follow us. After over 2 years on Twitter, it was time for me to clean things up. No offense intended.

BTW, I've stopped using Qwitter, so you can unfollow me anonymously if you want to :)

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.