This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Tuesday, June 14, 2005
360 is backward compatible?
OK, I haven't been keeping up with video game news like I should; however, this GameSpot article about the XBOX 360's graphics processor contains a little blurb that discusses backward compatibility:

"Huddy goes on to shed some light on backward compatibility. Each Xbox game is written with specific Xbox hardware in mind, and the 360's move to PowerPCs and ATI graphics doesn't jibe with the Xbox's Intel chips and Nvidia graphics processors. To add to the difficulty, the 360 wasn't designed for backward compatibility early on in development.

To solve this, Microsoft has implemented the use of emulator programs that will let the Xbox 360 play Xbox games.
"

After searching Google, I did find a blog by Michael Brundage who claims to be working on the emulator project for Microsoft. He confirms backward compatibility as well (and he claims it was announced at E3).

And then I found this official press release from Microsoft where Robbie Bach says:

"Now, many gamers have been asking us if they'll be able to play their favorite Xbox games on Xbox 360. Tonight, we are very pleased to announce that Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible with the top-selling Xbox games."

Damn, how did I miss this? I thought I stayed on top of all of the XBOX 360 news during E3. I guess I need to pay more attention.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.