This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Monday, May 7, 2007
I'm a digital omnivore. You?
The Pew Internet & American Life Project just released the results of a study on the Digital Divide in America as a PDF.


Image from TechCrunch article on the study

As you can see, the US is split down middle between those who use digital media and those that don't.

The TechCrunch interpretation of this data says the numbers are "disturbing" and they think "there can be no market saturation until such time the 31% blows out to something closer to 100%."

First of all, it is ridiculous to think that we'll ever get anywhere close to 100% in the elite category. In fact, I think that number is probably a bit inflated right now due to the buzz around Web 2.0.

The key over the long-term is to get more of the 49% with few tech assets to participate. Considering that most of that 49% are older (median of 64) and grew up with TV as their equivalent to the web, I think the shift will happen slowly, but it will happen. I don't think we'll see the same media consumption patterns when today's 30-somethings hit their 60s.

I'm a digital omnivore now. And while I'm sure my consumption will diminish a bit with age, I can't ever see myself sitting in front of the TV for more than an hour or two a day.

My wife is probably in the "Light but satisfied" group (She loves her e-mail and her TiVo). I don't expect that to change too much over time.

What category are you in and how do you see your media consumption changing as you get older?

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.