This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Proofreading is fundamental
When I was growing up (way back) in the 1970s, there were a series of public service announcments for RIF, Reading is Fundamental. Now, with so many mobile social media apps that can push content to multiple places at once, like Ping.fm, I am going to do this impromptu public service announcement for proofreading.

Last night while at the amazing Brazilian restaurant Fogo de Chao, I typed, "Meat orgy at Fogo de Chao. Unbelievable!" Anyone who has gone to Fogo knows what I am talking about.

Unfortunately, my Blackberry autocorrected my post to say, "Men orgy at Fogo de Chao. Unbelievable!" Completely different meaning, obviously. That post went out to almost 1,200 people on Twitter, 300+ people on Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and a couple of other networks that I have connected to Ping.fm. The best part was that I didn't notice it for almost 45 minutes.

Best Twitter typo ever!

All of the guys at dinner with me (Rob May, Todd Earwood, Kevin Frey and Dave Durand) had a huge laugh about it. They were also nice enough to share it with our waiter who mentioned it later. It also came up at several other parties as we connected with friends who had seen it.

So next time you're at a meat orgy, doublecheck your spelling.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.