This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Twitter 101 at Nationwide
Part of my role at Nationwide includes educating other associates about social media. This year, I kicked off our monthly social media brown bag sessions with a Twitter 101 session.

I chose Twitter because it was something that I had been asked about dozens of times since I started. It usually involved someone leaning over to me in a meeting and whispering something like this: "I heard you could teach me about Twitter."

We used a couple of our existing social media tools, Lotus Connections, Yammer and good ol' e-mail to spread the word about the session and gauge interest in the topic. In less than 24 hours, we had 60 RSVPs.

We ended up doing two sessions at two locations last week. Overall, I think we had around 50 people give up their lunch hour to learn about Twitter. Even had several Twitter veterans show up to share how they were using the service.

It was great to see so many people from different groups around the company engaging in a discussion about social media. We ended up adding a couple dozen new Twitterers to the fold, too. We're not quite Zappos.com, but it's a great start.

Here is the full deck hosted over at SlideShare. NOTE: Some of the screenshots in the deck didn't get converted by SlideShare accurately.

View more presentations from Shawn Morton. (tags: twitter socialmedia)

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.