This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
TiVo has lost its mind
First of all, let me say that I have been a happy TiVo user since 2001. Love the software. However, if I wasn't using a DirecTiVo (which only charges $5.99 for the TiVo service), I wouldn't use it. I just feel that $13 per month is too much to pay for something that offers no content of its own. By comparison, Sirius is $13 and I see a clear value in what I am paying for. With TiVo, it is just convenience. And since TiVo isn't the only DVR app available, it just doesn't make sense for me.

tivo-crazy

Now, TiVo sends me an e-mail for a new promotion where they give you the TiVo box and you just pay the monthly service fee. Of course, the fee has increased and they have added a service contract.

To get a free TiVo box (which could be had for less than $150 now), you have to sign up for a 3-year commitment at $16.95. That's over $600! I don't know why anyone would take them up on this offer.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.