This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Friday, October 27, 2006
Profilactic taking beta sign-ups
About a year ago or so, I got the idea for a site that would allow me to keep up with all of the various "Web 2.0" and "social networking" sites that I had joined. I had accounts with Flickr, del.icio.us, Blogger, YouTube, Vimeo, Digg, MySpace, Spout, la la, Instructables, LinkedIn, Yahoo!, GameSpot, TV.com, AVS Forum, 43 Things... you get the idea. Trying to keep up with all of the sites, profiles and the content I was producing was getting out of hand really quickly.

I thought it would be cool to create a site that allows you to pull together all of the your online profiles from across the web *and* all of the content that you have created on all of those sites into one place. So, if you are actively participating on sites like Blogger, Flickr, Digg, del.icio.us, YouTube, Vimeo, Zooomr (or *any* site with a URL or RSS), you can bring together the links to all of your profiles as well as a mashup of all of your content from each of those sites.

For the past 6 months or so, a few friends and I have been building Profilactic.com. It's been a pretty slow-moving process mainly because we all have day jobs and families (4 wives and 11 kids between us) that we'd like to keep. Basically, we've been working on it in the evenings and on weekends and meeting for lunch a couple of times per week. It's a hobby and we've been treating it that way.

Lately, we've made quite a bit of progress, so I am trying to recruit some guinea pigs to help us kick the tires around on it in a few weeks.

Sign up for the beta.

I am also blogging about the process of building Profilactic. I am hoping it will be an interesting read for anyone who is thinking about building their own site.

Check out the Building Profilactic blog.

Also, in a shameless act of self-promotion, I've submitted this to Digg. If you wanna Digg it, go here.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.