This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Thursday, May 31, 2007
Gadgets I took to the hospital
The part of the childbirth process that I've always dreaded is the 24-48 hours you have to spend in the hospital after the baby is born.

This time, I decided to come prepared with electronics (what else?). Here is what I brought to make the 2 days in this tiny hospital room more pleasant:

1. Acer Aspire 9300 laptop -- using this to blog, check e-mail, upload photos, post twitter updates and watch our Slingboxes (since hospital TV choices are pretty limited).
2. Canon Powershot A540 digital camera and 1GB SD card -- have snapped over 150 photos so far. Figure that total will be closer to 400 by the time we leave the hospital. Uploading them as we go to avoid doing one giant upload this weekend (and to keep friends and family happy).
3. T-Mobile Dash & Audiovox SMT5600 -- keeping in touch with family, posting twitter updates and maybe a little SlingPlayer Mobile
4. 5G iPod and Altec Lansing speakers -- These were supposed to be for playing soothing music during labor; however, we forgot to set it up. Figure it will sit in my bag unused during the rest of our stay.
5. Two Nintendo DS Lites -- These are mainly for the boys. They played these quite a bit (Mario Kart DS, Elite Beat Agents and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland) while waiting for Maddox to arrive.
6. Sony DCR-TRV900 3CCD digital camcorder -- We bought this mini DV cam before Miles was born over 6 years ago. The image quality, due to having 3 CCDs, is great and we have no reason to replace it (until we move to an HD one in a year or so). Because our camera takes decent video, I have to remind myself to take video with the camcorder. I bought a Firewire PCMCIA card for my laptop so we can share these videos online.
7. Extra batteries and AC adapters -- The AC adapters have already come in handy charging up our phones, the DS Lites, and the laptop.

I was able to get all of these gadgets, my clothes and toiletries in my Targus laptop bag and a Timbuk2 messenger bag. Not too bad.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.