This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Picked up a new digital camera this weekend
Last Christmas, I bought Amy a Canon A540 digital camera. Some time in the past couple of weeks, the camera was lost (with a nice 2GB SD card inside). We searched everywhere in the house, but couldn't find it. We even offered the kids a $10 reward if they found it. Nothing.

With some trips coming up and with Maddox doing so many things for the first time, I figured it was time to grab a new one.

My criteria were:

1. At least 8 megapixels
2. Very small
3. Very inexpensive
4. Good reviews
5. Could be purchased locally

I basically wanted something that takes decent photos, can fit in my pocket and could be cheaply replaced if it were lost like the Canon. Plus, I needed it next week for a trip to Columbus and the Twitter meetup, so I couldn't buy online. Figured it would be a tall order , but it was worth a shot.

After a couple hours of research and a trip to Circuit City, I ended up getting the Samsung L200. It is an ultra-compact, 10 megapixel with a 3x optical zoom. I didn't have the Samsung on my short list of cameras when I entered the store; however, it had more features, higher resolution and a much more intuitive UI than the others I was looking at.

Samsung L200
Samsung L200 through the lens of our ancient Kodak 3MP camera

Size comparison of Samsung L200 and Moto Q9h
Samsung L200 next to my Moto Q9h

The best part was that I got it for $127 by pricematching to Best Buy plus Circuit City threw in a $100 Epson photo printer. And, to top it off, I've got 30 days to try it out with Circuit City's ridiculously flexible return policy.

So far, I am very pleased with it. To my totally untrained eye, it takes great photos out of the box. It's also got a ton of manual settings that I haven't begun to explore yet.

SDC16984
Sample photo taken with the L200

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.