This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
DirecTiVo supported for 3 more years
Thomas Hawk has a nice overview of the recent agreement between DirecTV and TiVo that will continue support for the DirecTiVo for another 3 years.

This is good news for me because I have been a DirecTiVo customer since 2001 (I've never owned a standalone TiVo). When I upgraded my DirecTiVos in September, I purposely chose the R10 because it still used TiVo (instead of the NDS-powered DVR in the newer R15).

As I've said before, I wouldn't pay the $13+ fee for a standalone TiVo. It just isn't worth it. However, having a DirecTV box that has TiVo built in is worth the $5 I pay now.

Now maybe DirecTV will think about turning on all of the TiVo features that they've neglected over the past few years. I won't hold my breath, though.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.