This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Switched to Blockbuster Online
Last week, as my free 2 week trial for Blockbuster Online Total Access was about to expire, I decided to cancel my Netflix membership (again!) and start paying for BB.

In terms of value and experience, BB is actually giving me more than Netflix was. Here is what I am getting now (for the same $ as NF):

1. 3 out at a time
2. Better availability of HD-DVDs than Netflix
3. More movies -- I can trade all of my online rentals for free in-store rentals. The closest Blockbuster is 1 mile from my house (and is on the way to and from my office), so it is super-convenient. Plus, my wife and kids are happier because they can trade in my HD-DVD online rentals for chick flicks and Care Bear DVDs that I would never use a Queue slot for :)
4. Faster shipping -- Trading in an online rental in-store is the same as returning via mail, so my next online rental is shipped out sooner
5. Free games -- They just made free game rentals available using the e-Coupon you get each month

So, everyone is happier, we get more movies and we even get a free game rental. Sure, NF's website is better; however, I have my subscription to watch movies, not use the website. And once Blockbuster starts stocking HD-DVDs in my local store, it will be perfect.

I'll post my impressions after a few more weeks of using Blockbuster; however, I can't see going back to Netflix.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.