This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Tuesday, December 5, 2006
Blockbuster was *this* close...
to getting me to switch from Netflix.

I was really intrigued by the idea of returning online rentals to the store (which is about 1 mile from my house and on the way to my office) and exchanging them for in-store movies. See, I'm totally cracked out on HD-DVDs right now and Netflix just doesn't seem to have enough copies to meet demand. None of the 12 or so HD-DVDs in my Netflix Queue are available right now.

Blockbuster, on the other hand, was able to ship me HD-DVDs quickly. I figured that being able to return those to the store and grab two more would be perfect.

Unfortunately, Blockbuster doesn't rent HD-DVDs in their stores yet.

Still, it was pretty cool to be able to drop off my online rental and get a couple of free in-store movies, especially since the in-store movies don't count as "checked out" in my 3-at-a-time online plan.

Depending on how quickly BB is able to turn around the HD-DVD rentals, I may still make the switch. Getting some HD-DVDs is better than getting none.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.