This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Sunday, December 3, 2006
Got a new laptop today
I've been shopping around for a laptop for a while now. Unfortunately, I wasn't shopping too hard for one over the past few weeks and I missed all of the Black Friday deals.

However, today I checked the Sunday paper and found a deal that was too good to pass up. CompUSA, which is somewhere I don't usually shop, has an Acer 9300 with:

17" widescreen
AMD Turion 64 x 2 processor
1GB RAM
120GB HDD
Dual-layer DVD burner
Built-in webcam
Bluetooth
Windows Media Center 2005
Free upgrade to Vista Home Premium

It is only $699. That is the best price I've seen for a 17" with the AMD 64x2. A couple of friends recently bought a comparably equipped HP model for $849, so I feel like I got a pretty good deal, especially with the Vista upgrade.

Despite the fact that my motivation for getting the laptop is to have a portable dev environment for Profilactic, it will be nice to have Windows Media Center as well. I have 2 MCE 2005 media servers already, so I've got tons of content to access with the Acer.

If you need a new laptop, you may want to give this one a look Although I've only had it for a couple of hours, I like it alot.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.