This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
PayPal pulls a fast one
My wife just got the shaft from PayPal. Yesterday, she won an auction and paid with her PayPal account. For some reason, PayPal deducted money from both her debit card *and* her credit card. Both deductions were tied to the same auction and were for the full amount of the auction.

No problem, we thought. Just call PayPal and show them their mistake (after all, you can't pay for an auction twice). They'll take care of it, right? Wrong. PayPal told my wife that there was nothing that they could do for her. She would need to take the matter up with the seller of the item she purchased. Huh? They double deduct for an item and we have to work it out? That doesn't make sense...

Oh wait, yeah it does. PayPal collected fees for both transactions *and* for the refund! So PayPal collected around $20 for their own mistake. Nice work if you can get it, I guess.

While I like the convenience of PayPal (and even though a friend just moved to CA to work for them), I have had just enough issues with PayPal and eBay lately to make me question whether or not to continue using them. I guess Skype will be the tie breaker in my love-hate relationship with eBay. If it ends up sucking, I'll do all of my online auctions at... uh... crap!!!

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.