This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Monday, May 22, 2006
Spout makes tagging fun
Last week, I started working on a post about what I consider the tagging bubble that needs to burst. IMO, tagging has overstepped its utility in many situations and sites are incorporating tags for tags sake.

Tagging things like photos or videos make perfect sense. There is no metadata to start with, so tags provide some needed context and organization. And tagging bookmarks is almost as useful. The biggest problem I have with del.icio.us is remembering what tags I've used in the past. If I used "videogame" in the past and then I use "video games" now, you use all of the benefit of the tags.

Beyond that, I think tags are all hype. I've seen sites that want people to tag their news stories. WTF? Why would I want to add a tag to a story you wrote unless I am saving it? And if I see another tag cloud, I might lose my sh!t.

So, just as I was about to type up the rant that I just paraphrased above, I read Davis Freeberg's article about Spout.com which is a community site for movies.

Because I am involved in building community apps, I generally sign up for everything and have not seen a lot of innovation lately. So, with more than a dash of skepticism, I gave Spout a try.

The first thing I noticed is that tagging movies is a lot of fun. When you think about the amount of possible metadata that can be applied to a movie, it becomes a challenge to think of all of the things you want to say about it.

For example, when I saw the page for "Living in Oblivion," I tagged it "Chad Palomino," "El Lobo" and "Eyepatch." Anyone who has seen the movie will instantly know what I am talking about. For "Pee Wee's Big Adventure," I added "Rebel" ("Loaner" was already used) and "Deep in the heart of Texas."

I found myself doing this over and over (and even chuckling to myself when I thought of some).

In my first session, I ended up adding 61 tags, placing 24 films on my favorites list and adding two contacts.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.