This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Picked up Gnarls Barkley today
Gnarls BarkelyI had been meaning to pick "St. Elsewhere" up for a week or so; however, I never got around to it. After seeing the band's terrific performance on Conan O'Brien last night, though, I decided to grab it on the way to the office (Target for $8.98).

I was a fan of Danger Mouse's Grey Album and I love Cee-Lo's work with Goodie Mob, Outkast and Dungeon Family. In fact, Cee-Lo has one of my favorite voices in hip-hop.

Overall, the album is really, really good. So many great sounds. I've listened to it all the way through about 5 or 6 times and it grows on me with each subsequent listen. "Crazy," the first single (which became the first download-only single to hit #1 in the UK), is the highlight. Great melody and an awesome (yet subtle) bridge. In fact, I drove all of my co-workers nuts today from playing it over and over today.

Critics, for the most part, seem to like the album as well. It has an aggregate score around 80 (out of 100) from Metacritic. The New York Times who calls it "a manic, twisted soul album that's part nostalgia and part dementia." And NME says, "You certainly won't hear much else at the moment as inventive as this."

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.