This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Thursday, June 7, 2007
Halo 3 Beta over for me
Well, it has been a fun 3 weeks, but my Halo 3 Beta experience ends today. I rented Crackdown from Blockbuster the day before the Beta started (5 day rental + 7 day grace period) and then renewed it with my free Blockbuster Online game coupon (5 more days + another 7 day grace period). It was finally due back today and I didn't feel like shelling out $8 to play for 3 more days.

Below are some random (and, admittedly, dorky) observations about the Beta:

* 2 of the 3 maps were really fun to play (Valhalla and High Ground). And the new Veto feature meant that many of the matches on Snowbound were killed before they started. Hopefully Bungie tweaks (or eliminates) Snowbound to make it more fun to play.

* For whatever reason, I actually played better in the Halo 3 multiplayer than I did in Halo 2. I scored over 20 kills at least 3 times and consistently scored more than 12. I don't think I ever got more than 20 kills in any of my Halo 2 multiplayer matches.

* My favorite match was this one. Ended up with 21 kills. The best part was that I got to use a variety of weapons to get them: 3 sniper kills, 1 laser kill, 1 grenade stick, a double kill on a Warthog with the Missile Tap and, if I remember correctly, a close-range Missile Tap shot.

* Valhalla was my favorite map. All of my 20+ kill matches were on Valhalla. Loved the new Missile Tap weapon.

* Players seem better behaved. I heard no racial slurs and I actually had other players give me a hard time for making fun of a player who was trashtalking our team. Weird.

According to my stats on Bungie.net, I played 108 matches during the beta and ended up at Level 11. I had 857 kills and 488 assists. I won't mention how many deaths I had :)

Overall, I had a great time with the Beta and can't wait for September. The new "Save a film" options are going to make trashtalking so much more fun.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.