This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Back from Vegas & Memphis
It's been quite a week. I spent January 5th through the 9th in Las Vegas covering CES for CNET (See my blog posts and Flickr photos). I had a great time and got to hang out with people like Jeremy Toeman, Dave Zatz (both of whom I have known online for years, but had never met in person), Mehrshad Mansouri, Robert Scoble, Doc Searls and Marc Canter. I also spotted a handful of celebrities including Dr. Dre, Suge Knight, Michael Douglas, David Caruso and David Ortiz. Of course, I also got to see a lot of great products including the SlingCatcher, Bug Labs' upcoming modules and Netgear's All-Access Home products.


View from my hotel room at the Palms

Upon returning from Vegas, I learned that Amy's grandmother, who has been battling leukemia for years, was in very serious condition and wasn't expected to pull through. She was in septic shock, her kidneys had shut down and her blood pressure was bottoming out. The doctors encouraged family members to come to Memphis if they wanted to see her before she passed away.


Amy with her mom and grandmother in 2004

So, we packed the kids in the van and made the 7-hour drive to Memphis (about 16 hours after getting off the plane from Vegas).

After the family began arriving, Amy's grandmother made what her nurses described as a miraculous turnaround. Her kidneys began functioning again and her blood pressure stabilized. Of course, she was still in the ICU, so she wasn't completely out of danger.

Because the kids aren't allowed in the ICU, Amy went to the hospital twice per day (for a couple of hours each time) and I stayed with the kids. We were able to go to the Children's Museum, the Pink Palace Museum and explore downtown. We also spent way too much time in our hotel room.

With Amy's grandmother stable for now, we decided to head back to Louisville today. We arrived home tonight at around 9pm. We're all wiped out. I've got to get unpacked from both Vegas and Memphis and get ready to head back to work tomorrow. With holidays and CES, I've only spent 3 days in the office over the past 30 days, so I've got a lot of things to catch up on. So if I owe you an e-mail or a phone call, I'll be in touch this week (hopefully).

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.