This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Engadget's Birthday Cake Contest
Happy Birthday, Engadget!
To celebrate their 2nd birthday, Engadget is running a contest for the best gadget-related birthday cake. The grand prize is a really nice Alienware PC which is valued around $2,000.

After watching a few entries roll in over the first couple of days, I decided to give it a shot. I decided to do an XBOX 360 cake. It seemed like an appropriate choice considering it was the Engadget Gadget of the Year.

As you can see in the photo above, I created a faux blade interface that includes "Happy Birthday Engadget" and a photo of the grand prize.

So what my cake lacks in technique, I tried to make up for in overall presentation (I knew watching "Top Chef" would pay off somehow). I was also able to find a bow and some wrapping paper that is very, very close to the color of the Engadget logo. And I even colored the cake green to match the XBOX 360 logo color.

I spent about $20 in supplies and a couple of hours in the kitchen -- all while recovering from the flu (that last part was for the judges).

See more photos of the cake and the baking process here.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.