This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Saturday, November 11, 2006
I'm through with Amazon
I've never really been a big Amazon shopper; however, recently I decided to order the new XBOX 360 HD-DVD player from them. They were one of the only places taking pre-orders, so I didn't have much choice.

That turned out to be a big mistake. I ordered on November 7th and paid for overnight shipping (only $3.99 by using the trial for Amazon Prime). The product page said that it would ship in 1-2 days.

As of this morning, the item has still not shipped and my expected ship date has been bumped twice. They have also changed the estimate on the product page to "ships within 3 to 4 days."

Based on the comments in the product forum at Amazon, it seems that those of us who chose to try out their Amazon Prime service and upgrade to the $3.99 overnight shipping are the ones affected. Some other people have received their drive or at least have confirmation of shipment. Of course, there are still people who ordered earlier than I did who haven't gotten it either.

Finally, this morning, I decided to search around and see if any other retailers have it. Circuit City and Best Buy are sold out. However, I did find it in stock at Frys.com. They also offer same day shipping. So I canceled my Amazon order and went with Frys.com. This will actually be cheaper in the long run because Frys.com doesn't charge sales tax in Kentucky.

I should have my drive on Monday.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.