This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Yahoo! buys Meedio
Just read on Engadget that Meedio has been snatched up by Yahoo! The interesting thing about the announcement is that Yahoo! didn't actually buy their product line. They bought the technology and their IP. In addition, several members of the Meedio staff will join Yahoo!'s Digital Home project.

I used Meedio for quite a while before switching to Windows Media Center (in order to use my XBOX 360 as a media extender). I found it to be a pretty nice product. It had all of the basic MCE functionality plus lots of user-generated plugins for things like Netflix or weather data.

Those still using Meedio are SOL. The Meedio Support Center is closing and the EPG data is only going to be updated until July 1st.

I'm a little surprised to see Yahoo! and Meedio pull the rug out from customers who have recently paid for the application. I'm betting those same customers won't be trying Yahoo!'s upcoming service.

There are more details on Meedio's home page, including this nugget from Pablo, which thanks users for supporting them (although, they just got finished telling them how they were screwed):

I want to give a special thanks to our loyal users and our faithful developer community. You guys have made the last few years an absolute blast and have helped make Meedio an outstanding product. I hope you are as excited as I am about our big news. I am really looking forward to being able to bring you more cool products from Yahoo! This is a beginning, not an end.

Yeah, if I just shelled out $ for Meedio, I would be super excited that the product is dead, the support center is gone and the people that sold it to me just got a big payday.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.