This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
#1 SXSWi moment: Brazilian Men Orgy (2009)
Back in 2009, I made my first visit to Fogo de Chao with Todd Earwood, Rob May, Kevin Frey and Dave Durand.



After getting seated and getting a brief overview of how the whole thing worked, we got down to our meat-eating business.

For those not familiar with Fogo de Chao, you have a card that is green on one side and red on the other. If the green side is facing up, a team of waiters will take turns delivering various meats to your table. The whole thing is made a bit more dramatic by the fact that the meat is carried around on giant metal skewers. Anyway, back to the story...

After about 15 minutes of power eating, I picked up my BlackBerry to share my thoughts on the meal. Because I wanted to get right back to it, I skipped naming the other diners at the table and simply posted:

"Meat orgy at Fogo de Chao. Unbelievable!"

After that profound tidbit had been delivered to the Interwebz, I got back to my meat pile. Over the next 45 minutes, we all ate our own weight in steak, sausage and other assorted goodies. All was right with the world.

When I picked up my BlackBerry after the meal, I was shocked to see what had actually been posted to Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn:

"Men orgy at Fogo de Chao. Unbelievable!"

Whether it was BlackBerry's autocorrect or some subconscious desire (I'm really pulling for the BlackBerry on this one), I had not gotten my original message across. After frantically flipping through my Twitter replies and Facebook comments, it seemed that my tweet had gone unnoticed. Not a single reply. Whew, what a relief.

So, I posted a quick correction and we all had lots (and lots) of laughs around the table. Todd even shared my post with our waiter who was deeply troubled by it (but still made a point to say, "I'll be right back with the check, I know you have somewhere to be.").

Of course, my post hadn't actually gone unnoticed. It turns out friends and family were simply too confused to formulate a response. It wasn't until my correction went out that the "Oh, thank goodness" and "Your dad and I were so worried" messages came rolling in online. That turned out to be nothing compared to all of the comments I received that evening from friends in Austin.

You can read my original post describing our man orgy here.

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.