This is what Shawn Morton would look like if he had been made of LEGO sMoRTy71.com -- the personal website of Shawn Morton
UPDATE: This blog has been retired as of August 2011. See this post for more information or connect with me on Twitter.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
K.D. Lang rips off the Clash?


Today, I got my usual weekly e-mail from iTunes showcasing new music that has been added to the service (Why I get the "New Music Tuesday" mail on Wednesday is beyond me). As I scanned down the right column of the e-mail, I noticed this tiny image of K.D. Lang's upcoming compilation album, "Reintarnation."

Even at 53 pixels by 53 pixels, I instantly recognized the image. It was a knock-off of (IMHO) the greatest album in rock 'n' roll history -- "London Calling" by the Clash.

After scanning the song list and other details on the Amazon product page for her album, I found no cover songs or any mention of the Clash. Is this a tribute to "the only band that matters?" Or just a rip-off?

UPDATE (4/20/2006): Wow, do I feel like a dipsh!t. Until getting the comment (from Mojo) on this post, I never realized that The Clash had copied the cover design of Elvis' first record for "London Calling."

Although I lived in Memphis for several years *and* got married by an Elvis impersonator, I was never a fan of his music. Still, I should have known that one. Doh!

About Shawn Morton

Married father of 6; VP of Social Media at JPMorgan Chase; gluten-free; gadget enthusiast; hair metal aficionado; #Movember man View more on LinkedIn.